Black and White Dunes

I have always believed that photography is not necessarily about capturing what you see, but rather what you feel: an emotional connection, a sense of place, an experience. There is no better example of this than black and white photography. Black and white photography is a form of visual expression that looks nothing like what the photographer actually saw, yet it’s readily accepted by the general public as being “real” or “real photography.” Some photographers actually believe and espouse the notion that black and white photography is the only real form of photography. There’s that word again. What rubbish.

I don’t practice many black and white interpretations because to me, color is a big part of my experiences in nature – not always, but it’s usually the case. Sometimes, however, a black and white interpretation does a better job of emphasizing the elements that were important to me. This is one of those instances.

Technical details:

Hatteras Island, Outer Banks of North Carolina; Canon EOS 5d Mk2, Canon 17-40L @ 20mm, 1/30 second @ f20 ISO 160

Posted in Images | Tagged , , , , , , , ,

1. Posted February 13, 2011 at 10:32 am by G Dan Mitchell | Permalink

Richard:

First, wonderful photograph with great sense of depth and formal clarity. Second, your third sentence neatly sums up a conundrum that I’ve tried to describe, but never as concisely and clearly. It has always astonished me that black and white photography (which I love, and which I do) is held up by some as the model of authentic depiction of the adjective world.

Dan

2. Posted February 13, 2011 at 10:59 am by Lance Warley | Permalink

Beautiful photo, Richard. Great choice for b&w.

Too bad you couldn’t get lower…lol.

• Posted February 13, 2011 at 11:04 am by Richard Bernabe | Permalink

Hey Lance! Thanks. This was actually taken 4 days earlier than when you and I were there. I was as low as I could go!

3. Posted February 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm by Nancy de Flon | Permalink

Richard, you’re spot on here; the image is about form and design, those amazing lines leading the eye back to the mountain, so B&W is just right for this. Beautiful.

4. Posted February 13, 2011 at 8:07 pm by Russ Bishop | Permalink

Beautiful image Richard. At first glance, I assumed it was the southwest with towering cliffs beyond. Wonderful form and detail (and refreshing to see that this is the east coast!)

5. Posted August 10, 2011 at 3:50 am by portraits photograph | Permalink

Beautiful photo,you have done a great job:)

2 Trackbacks

1. By Tweets that mention Black and White Dunes -- Topsy.com on February 13, 2011 at 12:08 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Richard Bernabe and Light of the Wild, Beate Dalbec. Beate Dalbec said: RT @bernabephoto: Black and White Dunes on the Earth and Light Blog http://bit.ly/fLdkVO [...]

2. By Twitted by jerrydenham on February 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm