Iceland Bound – Again!

Jokulsarlon, Iceland from the summer of 2012. Canon 5d Mark2, Canon 16-35II @ 16mm, 16 second @ f16, ISO 320

I’m leaving today for my third trip to Iceland, with a fourth coming in July 12-20 of next year. This particular visit will focus on snowy, winter landscapes of northern Iceland with the possibility of capturing the Aurora Borealis as well. The weather will be the biggest factor in any success of photographing the northern lights, as Iceland tends to be a cloudy place during the winter months. The upside is the current solar maximum (2012 and 2013 are at the height of a 11-year cycle in solar activity) and plenty of darkness, which is a crucial factor for favorable aurora viewing.

The northern city of Akureyri will be my home for the next two weeks, so stay tuned for some crappy iPhone photos until I get back to my office later this month to do some processing.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged

1. Posted December 4, 2012 at 8:43 am by Lance Warley | Permalink

Best luck and safe travels, Richard!

2. Posted December 4, 2012 at 7:24 pm by Yvonne | Permalink

My dream location, please share any images you would like to!

3. Posted December 4, 2012 at 7:44 pm by Brad Mangas | Permalink

Safe journeys and have great time!

4. Posted December 4, 2012 at 9:45 pm by gilbert lopez | Permalink

Am interested in more infromation

5. Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm by Karen | Permalink

Anxiously awaiting to see your beautiful captures. Good luck.

6. Posted December 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm by Morgan | Permalink