If you are in the process of formulating resolutions for 2013, here are a few ideas to consider. While I’m not a big practitioner of resolutions myself, I do like use the turn of the calendar as a reminder to adjust my thinking. I ran across this inspiring list of statements a few years ago on Accidental Creative and it resonated with me. Maybe it helps explain me. Anyway, If this helps you think differently in 2013, all the better.
1. We create. Everyday. Not because we have to, but because we can’t help it. We empty ourselves because that’s what artists do.
2. We are brilliant at what we do, but what we do does not define us.
3. We understand that our vocation is bigger than our occupation. We’re on this earth to do more than earn a paycheck.
4. We are committed to growth. We do not tolerate stagnancy, because it’s the first sign of death.
5. We are committed to healthy creating. We recognize that to be prolific for a long time involves intentionality, choice, and discipline.
6. We know the value of what we make, and we refuse to prostitute ourselves to organizations. We make career decisions based upon who we are not what everyone else would do in our situation.
7. We are always looking for ideas. We are focused, curious, and passionate about life – because life is art.
8. We refuse to play the victim. We are proactive and responsible for our own creative health.
9. We are generous because we are free. We know that the goal is to act on the best idea, whether or not it’s our own. We build other people up, even when they don’t reciprocate.
10. We are committed to relationships. We recognize that healthy creating will come out of vibrant relationships.
Happy New Year 2013, everyone!
Enjoy this post? Please leave a comment or Subscribe to Earth and Light!