Waterfall of the Gods

Waterfall of the Gods

This is Godafoss of northern Iceland, Waterfall of the Gods. In the year 1000, the formerly pagan chieftain Thorgeir threw his trinkets and wooden images of the pagan gods into these cascades after Christianity had been accepted as Iceland’s official religion. Godafoss, thus became it’s name.

My simple photographic interpretation of this grand waterfall was taken near twilight with no clouds in the sky and as little clutter in the foreground as possible. Nothing fancy, but I was drawn to the simplicity and color palette of the scene. The composition and wide-angle distortion could be misleading with regard to scale here. The waterfall is over 40 feet tall and 100 feet wide.

Canon EOS 5D MarkII, Canon 16-35 f/2.8 @ 20mm, 25 seconds @ f18, ISO 100. July 2012

Posted in Images | Tagged , ,

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:17 am by Michael | Permalink

Very beautiful photo and perfect exposure. Love the story as well.

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 11:38 am by Kris Whittaker | Permalink

Stunning! I love waterfalls, and I love your photography. Since my feet will never leave the US, I live vicariously through you and other photographers to all of these beautiful places. Thank you for sharing your journey!

3. Posted January 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm by Mark S. Lewis | Permalink

I really like the shot and story. However, i do find the foreground rock kind of distracting. it kind of competes with the “holliness” of the falls. Probably would look bland and empty without the rock but im curious how other shit with the rock turned out. Nevertheless part of me did enjoy the contrast of the green rock.
    Thanks for sharing.

4. Posted January 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm by Joy | Permalink

Your work is just breath taking. Beautiful. I so enjoy looking at something new everyday.

5. Posted January 10, 2013 at 7:36 am by Terry Alexander | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful shot and I love the splash of color in the foreground to pull me into the scene. I think without that detail it would be too easy to pass this up as just another waterfall photo. My wife and I have long talked about an Icelandic adventure but we never seem to get there – this makes me even more determined to make the trek!

6. Posted January 10, 2013 at 7:52 pm by John | Permalink

that is great – i also love the simplicity and coolness of the scene.

glad you made a note about the size of the falls – i definitely would’nt have guessed