Vignettes from Namibia: Kolmanskop

Kolmanskop is the remains of what once was a thriving town built around an equally successful diamond mine near the port city Luderitz in southern Namibia. Once the diamond production declined after World War II, the residents slowly left the settlement and it was eventually abandoned in 1954. Located¬†in the middle of the Namib desert, the ghost town quickly surrendered to the forces of nature – sand and wind – while the arid climate preserved much of what was left behind. It’s one of the most fun and challenging places to photograph!

For information on my Namibia 2015 Photo Tours, check out the Epic Destinations website.

“Doors of Illusion” Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon 16-35mm @ 20mm, 8 seconds @ f/16, ISO 200

“Better Times” Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon 1-35mm @ 27mm, 0.6 second @ f/16, ISO 125

“Departed” Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon 16-35mm @ 21mm, 4 seconds @ f/14, ISO 125

“The Indigo Room” Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon 16-35mm @ 16mm, 5 seconds @ f/16, ISO 160

“Emptiness” Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon 15-35mm @ 26mm, 30 seconds @ f/11, ISO 100

“Faded Memories” Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon 16-35mm @ 16mm, 5 seconds @ f/14, ISO 125

Posted in Images | Tagged , ,

1. Posted July 2, 2014 at 6:49 am by Stephanie Samrow | Permalink

Your work is always extraordinary Richard. There are times for varying reasons I may not “get” your subject matter.
    These pictures for me, almost have an intoxicating quality. In addition to, not because of, I find them difficult to be at my ease with. This leads me to wishing you posted a rough sketch of the floor plans with your pictures that seem to blend fact and fantasy so well.
    Am dry and droll Richard. Please do not be offended as I enjoy very much these photographs. :)

2. Posted July 2, 2014 at 10:56 am by Oliver | Permalink

Absolutely mind-boggling place! I came across a photo from there a while ago (probably on National Geographic) and since have been amazed… Stunning to see how the walls in the image “Emptiness” seem to have soaked up the deserted landscape and almost appear as a mirror, revealing a blurred vision of the surrounding setting. Thanks for sharing!

3. Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:36 pm by Helene | Permalink

All intriguing shots but my favorite, by far, is The Blue Room. When I saw it posted the other day, it drew me in and gave me the feeling that ‘something’ happened in that room. Maybe that’s why I viewed it so long…thinking that the ‘something’ would be revealed. And are those animal tracks in the sand? What a fascinating place…congratulations on this shoot!

4. Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:07 pm by Jessalynn Cairer | Permalink

Seeing your work is so inspiring. In my 33 years I have answered so many questions about my “dream job.” the answer has ALWAYS been static….i want to be the travel the world and take pictures of it. I’m so happy and inspired to see people fulfill that amazing dream. Your photographs and the world beauty are equally captivating and humble and remind me of how much there is to see and experience! Someday:) God Bless!

5. Posted July 3, 2014 at 8:01 am by Jeanie | Permalink

Great shots Richard, if only walls could talk, these walls would most definetly have stories to tell.

6. Posted July 8, 2014 at 2:45 pm by Beth Cooper | Permalink

W O W !! What to say when I look at these images. I am there, standing in the quiet moment of time. Wondering what happened and where did everyone go? Thank you so much for sharing your amazing work. Absolutely love seeing places through your eyes.

7. Posted July 23, 2014 at 9:31 am by Joaquim | Permalink

Stunning photos. looking at your work, is what makes me want to photograph and improve.